The end of February marked the end of my first year of sewing. It all began a year ago – and now I can’t imagine life without my sewing machine making its near constant appearance on the kitchen table. My free evenings are spent happily with my new found passion and I love that I have found an outlet for my creativity which I find so relaxing and satisfying!
In truth I had made a few things previous to February 2015 – some bunting and a few Christmas stockings, but not clothes. Clothing seemed to be what finally made everything click for me. I didn’t really enjoy making those other things – but making something that I can wear – apparently is a bit addictive.
I thought I would show you the dress that started it all off.
I made it for some close friends who were moving to Brasil with their two little girls. I found this free Oliver+S popover sundress and decided to get my mum over so that she could teach me to read a pattern and ultimately to give me a little confidence. I loved sewing this and a new passion was born.
Since then I have tackled a many different patterns with varying success. Some of which I have blogged about – but many I haven’t. So I thought I’d do a quick round-up of my favourites from this past year!
This dress is the free Cottage Mama Party Dress which I made for my then 10 month old to wear to a friends wedding. Unfortunately I have no pics her actually in this. She looked adorable. Promise.
Other mini makes have all been dresses as you can see here. Mostly using the Simplicity 1435 pattern which is brilliant and will be made many more times. T-shirt, leggings and 2 dress styles, all from one pattern. Amazing.
I love these tops and wore them a lot last summer…
- Sorbetto; free pattern from Colette Patterns. (First top and first knitted cardi)
- Great British Sewing Bee: Fashion With Fabric; Shell top.
- Sorbetto #2 with inverted pleat and sleeves
(Click on any of these images for a better view!)
- Hoodie pattern from the ‘sewing with knits’ craftsy class that I talk about more here
- Grainline Studio Scout Tee – read more here
- Sewaholic Davie Dress – more here
- Another Simplicity 1435 – I drafted longer sleeves on this one and its my daughter’s favourite!
- Closet Case Files, Clare Coat – yep my final make, meaning that I squeezed sewing a coat into my first year. Just.
- Another Simplicity 1435! I made the t-shirt from a women’s red top that I got from a charity shop!
- CustomFit – Coracle – more here
- Cottage Mama Party Dress – made with free material from Simply Sewing Christmas issue. She wore this once and then the dye from the skirt ran all over the bodice. Still no idea how to fix that one!
- Deer and Doe, Plantain tee – more here
- Present for friend using the kimono top pattern from Simply Sewing magazine
- Tilly and the buttons, Orla top – more here
- Sequin Grainline Scout Tee – more here
Sooo there you have it. There are more makes from this year – but these are my faves. There have also been some spectacular fails – which I may blog about another time just to give you all a giggle!
Since finishing up work on my coat I have slowed the pace a little! I’ve discovered once more my love of knitting and started work on a jumper for my husband. I have also been dreaming up many more makes to fill this year and I cant wait to share my sewing plans with you later next week! Think balmy summer days and plenty of sunshine…
By the way – if you’re new here it’s nice to have you! If you like what you see why don’t you sign up to get an email when I put up a new post? I do it about once or twice a month and I promise no other emails to clutter up your inbox! Alternatively you can follow me on bloglovin’ or instagram. Click on the links to the right hand side or at the bottom of the page. 🙂