So ever since Tilly and the Buttons released this pattern in autumn last year I have had my eye on it. Something about the French dart shaping and collar option made it stand out for me. In my SewBrum write up I mentioned that my blue fabric, bought at the rag market, was destined to become an Orla top – and I kept my word! I got the pattern for my birthday at the end of November and I was hoping to get it made in time for Christmas – but alas, time ran out. But as soon as January hit I knew I wanted to sneak it in before work began on THE COAT.
I really love it. I’ve worn it out a couple of times now and I love the fact that it really is a flattering shape. I have a real Christmas tummy hidden away under there(!) and because of the shaping it just skims over it.
I decided as the print was so busy that I would omit the collar and kept the zip pretty simple too. I cut a size 3 graded to a 4 at the waist and hips and it fits well (my measurements are b: 34.5″ w: 29″ h:38″ in case it’s useful to anyone else deciding on sizing!). I would possibly grade out slightly more over my waist next time – but minimally.
The instructions for inserting the exposed zip were clear and easy to follow. The zip actually came from my SewBrum goodie bag – so this was a true make from the day! This is the first Tilly and the Buttons pattern that I’ve made – and it all came together beautifully (despite a technically-challenged moment where I couldn’t get the PDF to print properly – a problem that was quickly rectified by an email to the team).
I even went for the hand sewing option when securing the hem facing – I’d forgotten how much I enjoy it! Often I’m in such a rush to finish a project that I just want to whizz it off my machine.
I’d love to make this again – as a dress and another top. In a top I’d keep it plain but add the collar and the dress would be all about a big bold pattern!
In other news – my Clare Coat is all done! I cannot wait to get lots of photos and share all with you later this week!