Plantain tee take 2


Hope you all had a happy Easter filled with chocolatey goodness! Yum! I gave up chocolate for lent this year – partly in a bid to slim down for my summer hols and partly cos I wanted to prove to myself (again) that my sanity is not dependant on chocolate… I am very much enjoying have the sweet stuff back in my life though 🙂

Plantain tee

On Easter Sunday I was checking out Heather Lou’s weekly round up of makes from across the blogosphere (one of my favourite posts of the week) and saw that she’d shared my Clare Coat! Crazy non? So lovely – and such a boost for my confidence! So, welcome to anyone who has found me as a result – it’s great to have you!

Anyway on to the good stuff. I have a quick little make to share with you today. I managed to squeeze this out a couple of weeks back, in between some sewing for some friends (namely a pair of curtains and some school skirts). Its another Deer and Doe (free) plantain tee – however this time I decided to add in a cross over back for a bit of interest.

Plantain back view

I didn’t change much else from last time – I cut a size 38 and graded out to a 40 at the waist and hips. I did raise the neckline a bit and I find the fit is much better as a result. I also used the 3/4 length sleeves and omitted the elbow patches. The fabric was another rag market find (back from my SewBrum stash) and was cheap at £2 a metre. I really like the subtle stripes and love the petrol blue colour. This very nearly ended up as a t-shirt for my husband… but I’m glad I nabbed it!

Plantain 2

For anyone interested in the crossover hack:

  • I traced the back pattern piece extending the width at the top center back by 3 inches.
  • I then increased the length by about 1.5 inches and reduced the width at the bottom by about an inch. I drew a straight diagonal line connecting the points from top to the bottom (I also made notches at the centre back to help matching later)
  • Make sure you mark the grainline on your new pattern piece as you no longer cut this on the fold – instead you cut two separate pieces
  • I then hemmed the diagonal ‘split’ on each back piece before basting them together along the top (matching the centre back notches).
  • Then I just followed the normal instructions for making up

IMG_1788a

When I tried it on I found the back slid open too much so I stitched along the diagonal hem from the top to about half way down (you can kinda see in the picture below). Not the most beautiful – but definitely serviceable!

A little bit of stripe matching...

A little bit of stripe matching…

Verdict: Another wardrobe staple, every day piece of clothing which gets worn a lot! This is such a versatile little pattern and as it’s free its definitely one not to be missed.

Thanks to my mum for the photos – we succumbed to National Trust membership this weekend ( 🙂 🙂 🙂 ) and these photos were taken whilst out and about doing an easter egg hunt at the beautiful medieval house, Baddesley Clinton. Spring is most definitely in the air!

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *